March Madness kicked off on “Selection Sunday,” when 64 NCAA Men’s and Women’s basketball teams were selected to go to the “Big Dance”—the NCAA Division I Basketball Championship tournament. So it’s time to plan your big dance or big party if dancing isn’t your thing. You’ll want to celebrate your favorite college basketball team as early as possible. I’m sure your team is going to win, but just in case, plan your party in the early rounds so you don’t fall out of the bracket before your festivities get in full swing.
Here are some ideas to make your March Madness party a success:
- Tip Off: Send game brackets invitations. Have the guests fill out the brackets before they arrive at the party, so you will be able to start the fun off with a basketball pool. Each guest should guess the winner of the game and score for each team.
- Hoop dreams: Decorations. Orange and black are neutral basketball colors to use when decorating for your March Madness party. Buy inflatable basketballs or foam balls and set up a basketball hoop in the room where people will be watching the game. If your guests will all be cheering for the same team, by all means, decorate accordingly.
- Full Court Press: Feeding your team. Make sure you have enough food. Here are some tasty recipes to razzle dazzle your guests – Coffee Braised Beef Short Ribs, Coffee & Chili Rubbed Steak Tip Skewers, Spicy Coffee Bourbon BBQ Wings and for those earlier games or maybe just dessert, how about Mocha Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream. Also, consider making dishes that can be created ahead of time by using casserole and slow cooker recipes.
- Game Time: Dress the part. Make it easy for your guests to find you by wearing a referee jersey and carry a whistle to get their attention—just for fun.
- Time Out: In between games, play your own basketball game in the driveway or in the park down the street. Too cold outside? Have a dribbling contest in the basement or bring out the video games. However, guests won’t mind helping pick up when you put a basketball hoop over your trash can.
Remember these upcoming game dates and plan your party accordingly:
- Sweet Sixteen is on March 28-29
- Elite Eight is on March 30-31
- Final Four, is on April 6 and 8.