Ask Carl: Arabica vs. Robusta Coffee Beans

Ask CarlCommunity Coffee Company prides itself on using only the top 10 percent of Arabica coffee beans in the world. While to coffee aficionados this statement is a no-brainer, many people have asked us, “What does that really mean?” We’re bringing in Carl Leonard, our resident coffee expert, to explain why Community Coffee selects only the finest beans for its signature blends.

Q: What are Arabica beans, and how do they differ from other types of coffee beans?

A: Arabica beans comprise 75 to 80 percent of the world’s coffee production, and are used in most premium and specialty coffees (and all of Community Coffee’s blends). Arabica beans are known for their fine aromas and delightfully rich flavors. Robusta is another coffee bean variety that is grown at lower altitudes. It tends to be less expensive than Arabica and its flavor is considered to be far less desirable by those who truly appreciate excellent premium and specialty coffee aroma and flavor.

Q: Do Arabica beans and Robusta beans taste different? Is one better than the other?

A: Unroasted Arabica beans have a pleasant, floral aroma and when roasted produce a smooth and rich cup of coffee. Unroasted Robusta beans, on the other hand, have a grainy aroma and when roasted produce a harsh burnt smell and flavor (reminiscent of burning rubber). Robusta beans are generally much cheaper and easier to cultivate than Arabica, but Community Coffee selects only the finest Arabica beans for its coffee blends.

Now that you truly understand the top quality beans that go into Community coffee, go enjoy a cup and see for yourself!

About Carl

Carl Leonard is the vice president of green coffee procurement at Community Coffee Company and joined the company in 1983. He is a Licensed Q Grader, a professional cupper accredited by the Coffee Quality Institute and is a certified cupping judge of the Specialty Coffee Association of America – that means he knows his coffee!

7 Comments

1. Posted April 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I blog quite often and I really thank you for your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I
    am going to book mark your site and keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed too.

2. Posted May 22, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink | Reply

What’s up to every one, it’s actually a nice for me to pay a visit this website, it consists of
    important Information.

3. Posted November 23, 2013 at 7:31 am | Permalink | Reply

I have been collecting community coffee proofs of purchase for YEARS. Is there a reason for me to keep them? Is there a reward program?

4. Glenn Glover
    Posted April 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Why is it that you only package in 12 oz. size. I like your coffee , but buy 8oclock
    in 28 oz. size. no store in my area have your coffee in any other size.

• Posted April 28, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m sorry for the inconvienance. Many of the warehouse stores carry bulk sizes if your interested plus many locations are quickly expanding their Community section. Hopefully, more size options will be available to you soon. We do offer a variety of sizes and options on our website — communitycoffee.com and if you sign up for our emails there are many discounts offered.

5. Posted October 19, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your
    efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.